And the point is, to live everything. Live the questions now. Perhaps then, someday far in the future, you will gradually, without even noticing it, live your way into the answer.

Thursday, October 3, 2013

The Day I Flew

Hello. My name is Dino. I am a mouse.

I am usually a very fastidious mouse, who likes to keep everything in its rightful place. I don’t like a dirty nest, you see. I like gathered food sorted into piles. Like goes with like. I keep it all separated from my bed, of course. And frankly, I prefer to eat outside of the nest so as not to leave a mess. But this isn’t about my eating habits. I meant to be concise.

Like I said, I am usually a very fastidious mouse. I travel the same paths every day, as much as I can. Until something changes. If my clearing runs out of foods to forage. Or if there are rumors of a cat in the neighborhood. But more or less the same paths every day. I like the way my paths smell. I know I’ve trodden there before.

But on Tuesday, I went outside to find nothing familiar. I hadn’t been outside in a few days, because I had gotten a terrible flu. The McGregors had brought me some acorn broth. Very good for your digestion. Anyway. Everything had changed. The beautiful towering blades of grass I had grown to love lay flat on the ground like dried spaghetti sticks spilled on the floor. And there was a terrible humming in the air. A rattling bass clicking in the distance. Or so I thought. It grew loud quickly, and though I tried to dive back into the front hole-way of my nest I was swept up in the dried grass into a giant churning metal screw.

I tumbled and tossed and scrambled my way along the tines of this dreadful device when I found myself jammed into a thick stack of dried grass. Normally, not an unpleasant experience. Downright cozy in the winter. But frankly, I was squished. And my blood sugar was low. And I was weak. From the flu. Like I said.

I wriggled as hard as I could, but my little mouse legs had gotten wrapped around a few strands of grass that were now tightly matted. And the noise! The racket, you wouldn’t believe. I couldn’t hear myself think. And just as I think I’m going to suffocate from the stuffy grassy air I’m buried in, I feel a slight draft. It seems the whole mess of grass was being pushed along. I could feel my right front paw was cool from the air. Aha! I thought. My escape!

A couple of mighty tugs, with a few graciously helpful bumps from the hell machine, and I was finally on the outside of the grass bundle. Except the familiar ground was trotting along beneath me! I had never known such a velocity. I didn’t dare leave the vehicle I found myself on. I clung tightly to a tuft of dead grass sticking out from the block, trying to think.

And then I WAS FLYING.

All I remember was a monumental SPROING and a fluttering breeze encompassing my whole body as my gut moved weightlessly in a giant arc. The blend of heart-numbing fear and unparalleled adrenaline is nothing I think I’ll every experience again. And before I had time to tuck my tail between my legs I was on something solid again.


A mountain of dead grass in an unusually rectangular pattern spread out before and below me. I was a good 1,000 tails above the ground. And this is where I’m writing from. What I really want to say is, I need help. I need help. I’m trapped up here, and I don’t know where my home is anymore. Please come find me if you find this message. Sorry my story is so long, I just needed to say I need help. But I thought context would be necessary. I meant to be more concise. Sorry.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A hay baler packs hay, scoots it forward and then launches it into the air onto the wagon, where someone (me) stacks it. The above, if you're wondering, is inspired by a mouse I saw emerging onto the launching end of the hay baler we used the other day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment